- Most commonly used in Asia for cooking
- Cultivated for its fragrance in products that require scenting
- It’s the leaves of the lemongrass plant that are processed as it has no flower. It grows leaves to up to a metre long and is easy to harvest.
- The dark yellow or amber oil is extracted through steam distillation from dried lemongrass
- The health benefits of lemongrass essential oil are antiseptic, anti-rheumatic, diuretic, anti-inflammatory, astringent, analgesic, sedative, tonic, carminative, antimicrobial, antidepressant, febrifuge, bactericidal, fungicidal, deodorant, antipyretic and nervine.
- Lemongrass is one of the best essential oils and aromatherapy oils because of its fresh citrus fragrance.
- The scent of lemongrass also affects human senses in helping you calm down and relieves stress and even insomnia.
Smell some Vanilla Bean
Scent is a powerful trigger, and certain scents can help you feel better. A 2005 study publish in Chemical Senses found that scents like vanilla bean and clementine made people feel happy. A whiff of your favourite scent could help you feel better during a bad day.
Aromatherapy and essential oils
Essential oils are the fragrant, highly concentrated, volatile extracts from plants, leaves, spices, roots, woods and fruits. Each has a unique benefit for the body and mind. They are the foundation of aromatherapy and the Lemongrass House line of products. Aromatherapy is the practice of using these natural oil extracts to enhance psychological and physical well-being.
The inhaled aroma from these "essential" oils can be used to stimulate brain function and, absorbed through the skin where they travel through the bloodstream can promote whole-body comfort.
The Distillation Process
This representation of a traditional still shows team passing through plant material, carrying its volatile components out through the top of the chamber. The steam and vaporized essence then condense to form fragrant water (hydrolat) and essential oil. Because the oil collects on the water's surface, it is easily drained off and collected in a hand-held flask.